Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Why did it have to be snakes?

I was out for a hike yesterday amidst the moderate winds and 70 degree-ish temps (a damned fine autumn day) and, while coming back down the mountain, encountered a black form across the road. At first I thought it was yet another of the many sticks I'd been flicking from the road with my walking stick. But no, this was no stick! A long black snake lay on the road, its head on the side with the most space to go around. Well, I'm no snake fan and, with both sides of the road choked with vegetation, I stopped. After asking the snake to move didn't work, I prodded its back end with my stick. The serpent immediately rose up on one coil and turned in my direction. So, I backed away. The snake stayed coiled, watching my movements. I proceeded to throw acorns, twigs, and small rocks at it from a safe distance in an attempt to make it flee. No dice. Then I tossed a larger branch onto it. Heh, the damned thing rested a second coil on it and kept watching me. After about 10 minutes of this little game, I threw another larger branch at it and the snake finally slithered off-road, allowing me to pass safely. In retrospect, I suspect the snake was sleeping and I could have stepped past without harm (and without the embarrasing foolishness on my part). Oh well.

my XP: 15
snake XP: 15,000

4 comments:

Bret said...

It was satisfying because I didn't take any damage. ;)

Anonymous said...

We all know what's important. Kill it, takes its stuff.

You want to crush the snakes, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the female snakes.

Bret said...

I would certainly have taken its stuff. Unfortunately, if it had any, it must have been hiding inside its belly. Ew.

Anonymous said...

There were 1d8 larger snakes waiting in ambush had you taken the bait. :)

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...