Friday, October 09, 2009

Vacation Concluded

Don't they always go by so fast? Okay, I only had 3 days but I tried to make the most of them. I visited a shop called Pastimes in Palmyra, PA on Tuesday. Hadn't been there in quite some time. This little shop carries D&D in whatever incarnation you desire. Regrettably, it's mostly 4e at the moment but there's a hefty amount of 3e still available. I like to visit this shop because they sometimes will have just purchased someone's unwanted gaming collection. I've found such gems as AD&D modules H1-H4 and some elusive mini rulebooks printed for D&D's silver anniversary (you remember those little AD&D books abd box sets right?). On Tuesday, however, I only picked up a d20 Star Wars book for Scot's campaign--Starships of the Galaxy.

Wednesday was a breezy day and, while hiking might have been best that day (if only for the winds to keep any bugs at bay), I decided to head over to another day trip I made in the bygone days which is Doylestown, PA. It's a great little town to shop in and they also have a game store called Cyborg One. It's small and you have to really know where it is (behind a well-regarded sub place called Hoagie Works). Their rpg selection is all but nil but I picked up yet another interesting Star Wars book--Galaxy at War. Down the block from the hoagie place is a used record store called Siren Records which I also have to peruse when I'm in town. I think it has more vinyl than anything but there's a nice selection of used cds (and cassettes if you're still using those too!). Picked up a couple cds, some coffee, and some lunch before heading to the Sands in Bethlehem to use my free $10 slot play for the day. Nothing came of my slot endeavor except an hour of time killed.
Wed night the family celebrated Zlaty passing her driver's test by her making a tasty roast beef dinner at her place. Follow that up with some Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (UK) and it was a darned good day.

Thursday I finally decided to get out and hike a little at Hawk Mountain. I've got a route which goes up the Escarpment Trail, down the River of Rocks, up the Golden Eagle, and then over/up the Skyline Trail to the North Lookout (and then back to the parking area) which takes a little over an hour if you don't dawdle. It was a spectacular weather day and the place was packed at the lookouts. I didn't stay long for the view but I managed to scap two photos on my phone while out...


I also picked up 4 new tires for the car to get me through the winter months (some nice looking Cooper CS4 touring tires). All in all, not a cheap vacation but a fun one!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Pastimes sounds like a cool store. I'll have to check it out at some point.

And d20 Star Wars ... good stuff. :) Love to hear about that campaign sometime.

Glad you got to enjoy your vacation!

Bret said...

Pastimes has a great deal of things non-roleplaying as well. I have to admit that it's rather grungy in appearance--a mom and pop where none of the above cleans regularly. :) But all in all, nice atmosphere. It would be a drive for you as Palmyra is just this side of Hershey but they might have some model airplane stuff for ya.

As for the Star Wars campaign, this is the one Scot started before Chuck's death. We had a mini-module/PC making session.

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...