Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Don't Spoil It!

I'm an avid Stargate and the SG: Atlantis spinoff watcher. With Star Trek off the tube (as far as new episodes go), the SGs are the only really good sci-fi fun left on tv (year, BG is okay but they've got like 10 months in between seasons and now I just saw that the next one is their last). In any case, there is a difference in how I watch the Stargates from how I used to watch the last Star Trek incarnation (Enterprise)--spoilers. I used surf on over to trektoday.com regularly to see what was coming up for Enterprise. As a result, when interesting things did happen on the show, the emotional impact was lessened--I already knew that X was going to happen to Y. With the Stargates, I just watch them as they come. My non-spoiler approach led to a real response when a character on SG: Atlantis kicked the bucket. After that, I went online just to see the whys of the decision to kill off that character. What I found was a website already in place to bring the character back. WTF, I thought. Turns out, the leak for this death had been out for some time but since I didn't look for such info, I never ran across it. Turned out to be some damned fine tv watching so the moral of my tale is: Don't Spoil It; you'll gain that much greater viewing satisfaction.

In other news, we played some good Spycraft last Saturday in which the outcome is war between the US and a Pan-American Alliance primarily fueled by Venezuela. Should be much fun for the games ahead! Heather was back at the table after her successful bout against the evil bloot clots. We're all happy to have her gaming and healthy again.

5 comments:

Greg said...

Next on Behind The Monster: Evil Blood Clots! Where did they come from? What twisted wizard first created them in his dank dungeon? Do they have any weaknesses?

Also, find out how to substitute them in your favorite recipe or enjoy them on thier own!

Bret said...

Ew, that's just not right.

Mike said...

I used to be a spoiler-junkie ... found I wasn't really enjoying anything that I wound up watching, though. Since I let my search for spoilers go, I've found that I'm enjoying my favorite programs much more than before - Battlestar Galactica, Lost, and The Sopranos all rocked immensely this year.

Speaking of which ... what did you think of the Battlestar Galactica finale?

Bret said...

Mike, I thought the BG finale helped to turn around what was mostly a lackluster season. I saw a lot of new writers working on it this season and, although I know they alone are not responsible for episode content, found many of the eps falling flat. I'm intrigued to see what's up with this Starbuck-back-from-the-dead angle though.

Mike said...

Agreed on the season overall - thought it was extremely uneven. As much as I enjoy the internal conflicts on the show, I found myself wondering at times, "Aren't they supposed to be fighting Cylons?"

The season finale intrigues me, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with it. When Starbuck died, I was impressed that the show chose to off a significant character. Bringing her back just smacked of a cheap stunt. Hopefully, they have something very cool in mind with her return (apart from the whole "I've been to Earth" line).

And the "All Along the Watchtower" stuff was irritating. I don't know why. (Although I did like Tigh muttering 'there must be some other way out of here ...')

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...