Sunday, February 10, 2008

Old Books Die Hard

Got some cleaning in this weekend and devoured some Star Wars fiction--Tim Zahn style. I just love this guy's style and interwoven plots. After finishing Allegiance yesterday I couldn't help but pick Heir to the Empire off my shelf and start rereading it (and plan to go through that trilogy in its entirety). Grand Admiral Thrawn was definitely one of my literary idols in the 90s. Such a cool calculating villain you just can't help but root for him.

Is it just me or do y0u never hear about people rereading favorite books? Sure, there's always new stuff to read that is possibly as good or better than favorite books of the past but why not revisit the old goodies when in the mood? It's the same as popping in a dvd of a favorite movie...which I suspect folks do with some frequency. Could be the time requirement, I suppose. A dvd only requires a couple hours of your time and can be combined with socializing when necessary while books require solitude and many hours of time.

But maybe nostalgic longing for certain books is a trait reinforced by D&D culture itself. The shared experience inherent in the hobby's infancy and a longing for it is evident when you look at WotC's recent Expedition to... adventures, Goodman's DCCs, and even Necro Games' "1st edition feel." Every gamer around in the 70s & 80s would give his eye teeth to grab the wonder and excitement of those early days. So why not help out that nostalgia gland by re-experiencing one of your personal "classic" novels? It might just reignite some lost gaming passion.

3 comments:

Greg said...

I re-read Ender's Game whenever I get the chance. Orson Scott Card is my hero. And I've had a tradition of reading Lord of the Rings every year since 5th grade.

Varianor said...

Rereading stuff is good! I personally tend to skim a bit when I read, so I always find new things when I do. I liken it to visiting your favorite restaurant. It tastes good, it brings back all sorts of wonderful feelings, and you leave satisfied.

Bret said...

Welcome, Bill. Glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. And Greg--every year?!

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...