Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Huh? What?

Oh yeah, I guess I should update this blog! Well, in case you don't already know, I picked up a Mac mini as my new OS this past Sunday. My old computer (emphasis on the "old"!) was way past due for an upgrade. My brother suggested one PC and one Mac for my meager uses and I decided to exercise the Mac option--partly because I wanted a computer with more safety (the old one had recently become infected with a nasty virus) and partly just to try something different. Honestly, I could not be happier with this system. The lack of Windows is somehow freeing; that's the best way I can explain it. The thing runs like a dream (although, admittedly, anything would have been an improvement over the two squirrels in a wheel on which my old system was running). I haven't even scratched the surface of what this baby can do but we'll get there in time. In the meantime, I'll just sit back and enjoy the fluid computing experience.

To go along with the new system, Scot said I needed a new keyboard and mouse (or adapter for my old Dell units). Having already spent $600 on the system, I decided to play these replacements as cheaply as possible. We looked at Best Buy but the selection really wasn't good and the price of the sets was $45+ and that seemed like too much to me (and there was no adapters we could find to price compare with). So, at a suggestion from Zlaty, we stopped at Target on the way home. [Note to everyone: don't forget about Target for your needs!] I wasn't sure Target would have a good variety of electronics but I was confident that the prices would be better. Turned out I was right on both counts. However, when browsing the meager selection, Scot immediately noted the presence of a Logitech keyboard/mouse set and said it was quality. What's more, the set was only listed as $29.99 (score!). I picked it up and moved on through the store, stopping at a price scanner soon after. I just enjoy the scanners so that's the only reason I swiped the box under it. Turns out that swipe yielded an unexpected result--my set was on sale for $19.99! This convinced Scot and Zlaty to get a box for themselves too.

Let's see what else is going on...not too much over the holidays really. We had a very nice Xmas at home. I'm still enjoying DROID the second (no toilet incidents yet) as my main gift but received some nice stuff on the actual gift exchange day as well. The family had a good meal together and we then shared an UNO-thon until after 11pm. Somewhere in all that my brother and I squeezed in a game of NES Ice Hockey--fun to roll that out again even if I lost.

I've been negligent in my writing (mostly because of my old slooooow PC) having only worked on the main map for What Goes Up! in the last couple weeks. Hopefully the new year (and my fast OS) will bring unbridled creativity and output. After all, what more could a writer ask for?

No comments:

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...