Thursday, May 06, 2010

D&D: The Next Generation


A few months ago, I received a startling call from my sister. Turns out, her oldest son Aiden (who will be 9 in Oct.) ran across a reference to Dungeons & Dragons and became interested in reading about it. I pondered briefly how best to indoctrinate my nephew into the roleplaying fold. Should Aiden be thrust into the rules-heavy editions of today? Or should he be weaned in the same manner I was? One look at the above picture tells you which way I went.

I was fortunate enough to locate a complete and intact Basic Rules red box from www.hitpointe.com for, what I considered to be, a fair price. There's so much D&D history that I want Aiden to be exposed to if he decides to pursue this course. The older editions like the basic one featured here may be a bit clunky rules-wise but one cannot deny the air of freedom it gives. It was written at a time in which roleplaying itself was just finding its place in the world and the promise of a golden future of gaming was at hand. I think one can say the same about a 9-year-old's life too.

As it was with my own formative years, I can only hope that this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship between a boy and his imagination.

2 comments:

Mike said...

The early 1980s Basic D&D set is the perfect introduction into gaming for a young gamer, IMO. It's easy to understand, covers all the essential elements for a good game, and doesn't get bogged down in detail.

Newer games sometimes get too clever for their own good. 3.5 and 4E are well-designed systems, but they can get bogged down in crunch, and I think they're more designed for older gamers than for kids.

You picked a great introduction for gaming for a 9-year old. Great job!

Bret said...

Thanks, Mike. We turned out pretty good so I guess the red box isn't a bad way to begin. My nephew just asked my sister recently if I was actually going to send anything (it took me awhile to find a complete set that wasn't cost prohibitive). Happy that it will make his day!

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...