Monday, May 03, 2010

Paying for Convenience

Well, my trip did not yield any Star Wars d6 goodies but I did make two off the cuff purchases: the Dragon Age box set from Green Ronin and Goodman's (system generic) Random Esoteric Creature Generator. The former I picked up because a nice, new, easy system sounded like a nice change of pace from the rules-bloated days of 3.x/Pathfinder (and, yes, they're bloated, don't let anyone tell you differently).

The latter I picked up because...well, because it was a convenient resource to have. It has tons of tables to roll randomly on to whip up different monster concepts/features/abilities/yada yada. Could I not have come up with this book on my own? Sure, anyone could have. But to have it right there already fleshed out is just something that appealed to me. I paid for convenience and I think that's what typifies rpg purchasing for us busy 30-somethings.

2 comments:

Mike said...

3.X/Pathfinder is completely bloated. Doesn't change the fact that I like it a lot, but ...

It's one of the main reasons I've been screwing around with Labyrinth Lord and the Advanced Edition Companion lately. There's something to be said for simplicity.

Let me know what you think of Dragon Age. I also picked it up not too long ago. I liked it, but as with too many games lately I don't see myself playing it anytime soon.

Bret said...

Yeah, I like the system too but I need a change from that norm. I'd love to release more PF products but I don't want to be the one that writes them. :)

Speaking of screwing around with the older systems, weren't you going to throw something together involving dragons???

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...