Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Snow Day & OSRIC

A few inches of the white stuff has fallen outside and, given I just washed the car on Sunday, am not particularly inclined to go anywhere today. So, it's time to work on AE: Waterskin and think about an OSRIC adventure to send to Expeditious Retreat Press (Joe Browning heavily hinted that they were accepting submissions when I mentioned wanting to pen an adventure so I might as well get in some OSRIC practice with them).

The problem I have with OSRIC is two-fold. First, where can I get some monsters? The rules for the 1st edition-compatible system were released, which is all well and good, but where are the critters? I saw there's a book on Lulu for them but does this include the classic goblins, orcs, etc.? Second, it's been so long since I played non-d20 D&D that I don't know how the heck I ever balanced encounters. I recall eyeballing them by using a monster's HD but is that in any way relevant? Guess that's what playtesting is for.

4 comments:

Mike said...

The CR is one of the more handy inventions of D&D 3.0/3.5.

Lots of people complain about how inaccurate it can be ... well, it's a far better cry than the good old days, where there was nothing!

Anonymous said...

A great person once said let dress up and go for a hike at night. You know that person. That dress up hike never happened because a whooping crane and red squirrel prevented it from happening. It's likely they would of made it all the way to the top of the mountain anyway due to lack of oxygen. Probably would have nearly summited and kept saying "bitch" due to lack of air. I'm just saying is all.

Bret said...

Mike: I agree with you 100% but I guess I'll have to figure out something. And what's up with your blog? I know you've participated in 2 good gaming sessions since your last post. ;)

Troy: I don't know if it was a "great person" that said that but I agree that oxygen masks would have been necessary. And welcome to the blog!

Mike said...

And what's up with your blog? I know you've participated in 2 good gaming sessions since your last post. ;)

Oh, there's no doubt about that. :)

I've been trying to write a post about something else - and was planning on mentioning all the great gaming that's been going on lately in that post. Of course, it's taking forever to write, so what I hoped would be 'current events' will probably wind up being old news by the time it's done ... :P

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...