Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Never Rains, But It Pours

Finally the rain has ceased here in east-central PA. The Schuylkill River is the highest I've ever seen it. A bridge was roped off by police because the far side (away from town) was apparently underwater. I'm glad our house is at a position where it never falls prey to flooding (*knocks wood*).

I forgot to mention the other day that I finished reading Greenwood and Cunningham's City of Splendors novel about that greatest of Realmsian cities--Waterdeep. If you haven't read it yet, let me save you some time--don't. It is clear where Ed stops writing and Elaine begins. Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy what each writer brings to the table in terms of style but Ed almost seemed lost on this one and he had the pleasure (I believe) of writing the first 2/3 of the book! One of Elaine's more noted characters, Elaith Craulnober, receives some attention here but it isn't until the last few acts where he does anything. Yeah, I know, the book isn't about him. However, I'm hard pressed to state what exactly the book was about. Waterdhavian nobles realizing they need to give a damn to see the city prosper? I guess so. And two of them are made Lords at the end! The antagonists were laughable and hopefully will not make a return.

I've since moved on to a trilogy recommended to me by Brad (of Chilled Monkey Brains blog-fame). Brad, please kick me next time we meet for not starting these sooner. I'm about a third of the way through the first of the Erevis Cale trilogy and am really enjoying it. Cale needs to grow on me a bit more before I can really get a sense of what he is and how he'll react to situations but anything involving the Zhentarim, Cyrics vs. Banites, the Shadow Weave, and assassins gets an "A" in my book.

Speaking of new books, can anyone point me to a chronological listing of the Lankhmar books? I'd like to give these a try and want to read them in their order of appearance. Perhaps I'll find some inspiration for my own fiction piece about Delrick Jhomes (mentioned in previous blog entry).

I feel remiss in not mentioning that my brother's wife is currently experiencing some medical woes. After falling in the lobby of their downtown Philadelphia apartment and brutally fracturing her leg, Zlatka went to have the leg rebroken in preparation for future surgery. This was done without pain killers while she was conscious--twice. Scot can chime in with the whole story but suffice it to say it was not a good experience for anyone involved. Now, after finally getting things straight with that after being put under, she awaits proper surgery next week. Send some good thoughts Scot's and Zlatka's way, won't you?

1 comment:

Steve said...

The Lankhmar series goes like this:

1. Swords and Deviltry
2. Swords Against Death
3. Swords in the Mist
4. Swords Against Wizardry
5. The Swords of Lankhmar
6. Swords and Ice Magic
7. The Knight and Knave of Swords

I think 1-5 are the best of the bunch. I've reviewed them on my main blog.

If you have a chance, check out the Epic Comics adaptation by Howard Chaykin and Mike Mignola. (I think those stories may be re-released by Dark Horse Comics. They now have the publishing rights.)

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...