Sunday, April 22, 2007

Bless Review & Bells Aplenty

Chris Gath weighs in with his thoughts on Behind the Spells: Bless here: http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=review&reviewid=3472465 As always, I thank Crothian for his continued reviewing of the series. Now, if only one of these could coax a 5-star review out of him. :)

In non-RPG news, I participated in a bell festival today in Orwigsburg, PA. Comprised of about 10 bell choirs from various churches, the event was, in my opinion, poorly attended. Poor advertising? Or maybe bells alone just isn't much of a draw. That said, there were old and young alike and all seemed to enjoy themselves. My choir played in 4 of the mass choir pieces and performed our own piece. At Donna's (our director's) behest, I migrated at appropriate times to another choir to help ring the other 4 mass choir pieces due to lack of ringers. I find bell ringing relatively easy so while I was a bit nervous at the prospect of going in nearly cold, it didn't turn out too badly.

Today's bell activities lasted from just before noon until after 9pm. This included packing up our stuff, moving it to Orwigsburg, practice, break, practice, break for dinner, and finally the performance at 7pm. Needless to say, no freelancing was accomplished today. It's time for a shower and a cup of hot tea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey D Money

I recall you talking about bells on our excursions. Are they bells as in the type you shake (like a dinner bell), or the type you hit with a hammer (xylophone type). Was is poorly attended by competitors, audience or both. I could see poor advertising and lack of a draw with just bells. On these nice spring days they should have a lunch/picnic or something in conjunction with it. Nothing gets dutchies out like food.

T-Cat

Bret said...

Hey Troy. It's a dinner bell type, although larger, where the clapper inside strikes the interior when you snap your wrist. Attendance was poor as in the audience. I'm not sure about the other choirs but there were more people besides me running from table to table during the event. And you're right about the food. Perhaps they'll consider it next time.

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...