Monday, April 16, 2007

New Game Fizzles

Well, we tried C&C and...it didn't work out as I had hoped. On the surface (i.e. before really playing it), the game had its charms for me. As one who waxes nostalgic for 1st edition (hand me those rose-colored glasses), I saw much to regain in playing C&C. Once the playing was done, however, and only the assassin PC survived, we decided that one adventure under these rules was enough. Look for my C&C ebay auctions soon. :)

To offer a bit more detail, I assumed that dropping the base d20 skills and feats would be a great idea (further streamline an already nicely streamlined set of rules). Beneath the surface lied chaos. Skills/Feats had morphed into oddly placed class abilities. The cleric couldn't Listen as well as the assassin because he didn't have that ability. Um...okay...maybe a bad case of ear wax? The stuff that seemed logical upon first look just turned out to be oddly cumbersome in play. We'll take d20, with all its quirks and faults, back now, thanks.

4 comments:

Brad said...

I'm still sorry I missed the game, even if C&C did kind of suck. I had looked through some of the free PDF stuff at the publisher's site and it looked interesting.

I have fond memories of 1st Ed., but when I think back on things like Thaco and the series of weird saving throws.

Save Vs. Jello Pudding

Mike said...

Huh ... interesting! Sorry I missed it as well.

I also have fond memories of 1st Edition - the tactical nature of 3.5 sometimes drives me nuts. But over the past few years, I really have come to appreciate the execution of skills/feats/etc. in 3.5 - the game does run very cleanly.

I really thought C&C might be the perfect merge between 3.5 and 1st Edition. Maybe not so much, then.

Bret said...

Brad: they put back the weird saves but Thac0 was thankfully absent.

Mike: I too would miss the tactical nature of the game if I went back to an earlier edition. I guess if we want 1st edition, we'll just have to play 1st edition. Finding a group for it however...

Anonymous said...

Even though I was hesitant to make the leap to 3.0, and then 3.5, I'm glad I did. The game is richer and much more enjoyable. There is rhythm and logic to most of the game mechanics. Your abilities and skills actually mean something and have an application to the outcome of the module. The C&C writing and scenario was good though. Perhaps you can do some reworking of the content for application to a 3.5 module???

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...