Monday, December 11, 2006

Away & Book Review

I'm house-sitting this week at the Cuthberts (the owners of the furnished barn where we game) so don't expect too much chatter here at the Rest. It looks like I'll be finishing up a longish section explaining the "Spell Secrets" section of the Behind the Spells before handing it in. The book will be over 90k words so that's good enough for me. :)

Finished up The Last Mythal on Sunday and I have to admit that the trilogy was a good read after all. Thank goodness the central characters developed into likeable heroes and that Fflar really blossomed by the end. I've started Midnight's Mask by Paul Kemp and am enjoying it already (enough that I read 60+ pages before bed last night--a lot for me!). I really have to keep reading more as it nicely takes the edge off one's day.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Sadly, I wasn't familiar at all with any of Paul Kemp's stuff until I started gaming with you guys. I only picked up Twilight Falling a few days ago - so far, it's an excellent read.

So in addition to the excellent gaming, thanks much for the book recommendations as well. :)

Bret said...

You're too welcome. I wish I had more to offer in terms of good reads but not only am I woefully behind on my reading but my selections are intensely narrow (mostly WotC books).

Anonymous said...

I still plan to read the last Last Mythal book. Hmmm, the final Last Mythal Book?

Anyway, Paul Kemp writes some really good stuff and seems to be a very nice guy too.

This was scooped from his blog, but if you want some good, free reading material Neil Gaiman has three stories posted online at http://www.neilgaiman.com/exclusive/shortstories

One of them is a Sherlock Holmes/ Cthulhu Mythos story. Possibly a new genre!

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...