Friday, January 05, 2007

Thoughts for 2007

Not much to report here on the 'ol FR. I'm kicking around some ideas I can submit to Ronin Arts or Adamant Ent. while catching up on my reading. Our Spycraft game was a howling success and I can say I laughed until I cried. There really isn't much of a better way to ring in the new year than with a game with good friends (and relatives as well in this case!). Twice I though agent Gray Squirrel was a goner but I managed to survive.

Now we look to the year of 2007. Since I smashed my crystal ball back in 2001, there's no way to predict what will come. As I just mentioned, I've got some pdf ideas rattling around in the 'ol brainbox. Wouldn't mind doing some more adventure work for Goodman Games (still waiting to here on that open call from Sept!) either. Do I have any desire to break into the "big leagues" yet? Nah, I'm happy enough as a hobbylancer without busting my butt to do work for WotC (if such a thing were even possible). That said, an article with Dragon would be nice but getting proposals through the email shield I'm convinced Paizo has in place is daunting to say the least. Every proposal to them has either been rejected (I can live with that) or not even responded to. That's frustrating and damned inconsiderate.

With hobbylancing recently at an all time low, perhaps I can turn my creative juices to my group's gaming and my planar campaign. I'm even now brainstorming for the campaign's season finale. When last we left our heroes, they had defeated the Cult of Chaos and returned home...but something has gone terribly wrong. Emerging from the glyph gate, the group witnessed a Sigil in ruins as if from a great war. I don't want to give to many hints, but the finale has to do with an alternate timeline which picks up where one of TSR's edition-spanning adventure's leaves off. If you're thinking of a certain villanous god missing two body parts that you're on the right track. ;)

But back to '07. Besides what I might create, there's a couple items still to be published. Hoards from DQG, Behind the Spells print collection from Ronin Arts, and A Matter of Faith from Highmoon. There are some items I wouldn't mind returning to before 4th edition rears its ugly head including:

*Guide to Illusionary Characters--D&D meets holograms. Rules for creating and playing an illusionary PC.

*Invasion: Freeport--This adventure, with the able assistance of Brad, is in complete outline form. Perhaps I can breath life back into it and see if Phil is interested in publishing it. I'm certain Gareth would be if Phil declines. If memory serves, I got the go-ahead and then decided to wait for GR's announcement as to what they were doing with the setting.

*Temporality introduction adventure--To help spur awareness of my time travel book, an intro adventure to using its components seems in order. I started sketching a plot last week.

*Foul Locales redux--One of my creative loves continues to be locations for d20. I almost started a series based on Ed Bourelle's tiles but we never seemed to get off the ground. If only I had some cartography skills, then I could present a finished product to a pdf publisher. I suppose I can just ask if they'd be willing to hire one for this proposed series.

That's all I can think of at the moment. A semi-ambitious schedule considering my recent bout of creative dryness. With any luck, at least two of these will come to pass in 2007.

5 comments:

Daniel M. Perez said...

*Foul Locales redux--One of my creative loves continues to be locations for d20. I almost started a series based on Ed Bourelle's tiles but we never seemed to get off the ground. If only I had some cartography skills, then I could present a finished product to a pdf publisher. I suppose I can just ask if they'd be willing to hire one for this proposed series.

This is a great idea. I love Foul Locales and I love this type of product. To be honest, I don't even think it needs to be d20. A product like this could go systemless or better yet, with system-specific addendums for d20, True20, RuneQuest, etc. I'd love to see this done, maybe even to work on it (I won't say publish it because I owe you still big time and because my plate is a little full; there's still some space on the side, but without reliable people I could leave to their devices to do this and hand it to me done I wouldn't commit). Of all your ideas above (which I think are all cool), this seems to me to have the most wide appeal, even if 4e rears its ugly head. You know where to reach me should you want to. :)

Mike said...

Agree with you 100% on the whole "lack of response" thing. Much as I hate rejection notices, they're infinitely preferred to no response notices at all. At least you know what you can rework and send elsewhere.

The Invasion: Freeport project sounds verrrrrrrrry interesting. If nothing else, I'd love to read through that at some point, regardless of what GR chooses to do with it. I was considering running a Freeport campaign at one point ... like most of my campaigns, though, it never got off the ground. :P

And I meant to mention this yesterday at Chuck's game, but forgot - let me know if you'd be interested in collaborating on something. Might be fun to develop a project in tandem.

-Mike

P.S. If those body parts are "eye" and "hand" ... you're a sick, twisted person. (But then again, you knew that already.) ;)

Rabid Gerbil said...

I definitely agree about the Foul Locales Redux. I loved working on that and would love to see it come back.

Bret said...

Mike: I would certainly be interested in some kind of joint venture. Did you have anything in mind? Shoot me an email.

Warren: Then it pleases me to say that Daniel and I are now speaking about such a project. :)

Rabid Gerbil said...

Let me know if you need any help on it. I loved that series and loved working on it with you. I have always thought that it could be a great little series to produce and release as a PDF. I actually have a lot of ideas about it, and different things that could be done with it.

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...