Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The WotC Response

Believe it or not, I received a timely response today from Rich Redman about my Tricky Owlbear inquiry. The crux of the reply was, and I quote..."I’m not a lawyer, and we don’t provide free legal advice, so I can’t answer that question. I guess the bottom line is that we won’t grant permission for this sort of thing. If you’ve got your heart set on that name, you really ought to consult a lawyer with expertise in copyright and intellectual property law – but for all I know you are that sort of lawyer."

Sort of a no/maybe answer, if you ask me. As Rich is the Asst. Brand Manager of Licensing, I don't really no how much weight his opinion holds. Legal or not, I can't really see Wizards hounding us for a name change given the amount of OGL infractions I've seen them let through in the past. And thanks to Joanna for her input in the last post. I didn't really think a lawyer was necessary either. If anyone has any pointers for starting and growing a company, I'm all ears.

2 comments:

Rabid Gerbil said...

LOL. I know where you can get a pretty good editor that works cheap.

hint hint. lol

And I have to ask...why Tricky Owlbear?

Bret said...

I've got your email, Warren. ;) As for the company name, I wanted something that didn't sound too serious and this just really struck my fancy (since owlbears are anything but tricky).

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...