Sunday, May 17, 2009

Send in the (Retro-) Clones!

With the resurgence of "old-school" game systems bursting through the woodwork in the last couple years, it's hard for me to keep up with what's out there. What's everyone's favorite and why? I thought Tricky Owlbear might use OSRIC for its retro adventures but Labyrinth Lord might be even less complex (i.e. easier to write for--up yours 3e stat blocks and balance!). Then there's Swords & Wizardry, which is like, what, 0 edition? I will say that I bought the Fight On! issues available from Lulu and am happy with the retro feel and massive amount of content. These mags also let me know what stat format is "universally" acceptable (and their popularity lets me know I need to get on this bandwagon).

In other news, I watched the finale of Family Guy and...was not impressed. This whole season has been pretty much of a letdown. I mean earlier they had the entire cast of Next Gen and they use them as a frickin' B-plot! Lost opportunity there. Finales were the order of the week this week. Lost was pretty damned good and I'm happy I still don't really know what the hell is going on. We've got one season to go so I should still be in the dark. Then there's Prison Break. The writers managed to wrap everything up even if they did shoehorn in characters like Kellerman, C-Note, and Sucre. Nice touch giving the General the electric chair and for Sarah to shoot Michael's psycho-bitch mom. I did regret Michael dying from that brain thing the Company supposedly cured him of but I guess he had cheated death one too many times.

Watching finales always put me in the mood for writing grand adventures for my home campaigns. Unfortunately, our play schedule has been infrequent. Even if it wasn't, though, I just did run the big ending to our "stop 4th edition" story arc for the planar campaign. I'll just have to make notes and put them aside for later. That's the beauty of GMing--your "show" isn't cancelled until you want it to be so there's always time for that next great plot.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I happen to like Labyrinth Lord quite a bit, mostly because I think it does a fantastic job of emulating B/X D&D. There's only a few differences between the two, and of the ones I've noted, I think the changes made were all for the better.

There's something of a disconnect between OSRIC and 1E AD&D. I'm not sure what it is, but there's something about OSRIC that just seems ... off. I'll have to look at it more closely at some point.

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...