Sunday, August 14, 2005

Unexpected Turns

There I am, minding my own DMing business, when my player characters of today's Whispers of the Vampire's Blade Eberron adventure start to really damage my bad guy. I kept him in the ballroom as long as the adventure dictated, even skipping a minor plot point of going after the hostess, and then attempted escape once his sister had bit the big one. Much to my surprise, the PCs kill him during the attempt! We were 15 pages into the 30+ page adventure and, you know what, I didn't much care.

For you see, DMs tend to lost sight of the "big picture" during the game. It's not all about what the BBEG will do next or what cool encounter locations are coming up. Nope, it's all about the fun. Published adventures rarely go as planned and to have one "end" in the middle doesn't matter so long as everyone enjoyed themselves. I think my players did that and we had gone up to the normal quitting time anyway. So all's well that ends well. Besides, I'm sure the cool set pieces that were not reached can be recycled into future games...

3 comments:

Rabid Gerbil said...

Wow, man I can just imagine what it is like playing in one of your games. After working with you on some stuff, I bet it would be a blast to play in a game DMed by you.

Bret said...

Thanks, Warren. I'm sure my group would love having you as a guest player if you're ever in the area. I just wish we played more than we do. :(

Anonymous said...

You must remmeber, players never do what is expecte din an adventure unless thoroughly railroaded.

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...