Tuesday, November 15, 2005

New pdf and a review

As expected, Behind the Spell: Fireball went up for sale today. Use my "Most Recent Work" link as always to take you to it. Also, BtS: Magic Missile has gotten its first review from Derek Holland: 5 out of 5 stars! I suspect Derek has been taking a look at my stuff since my Complete Guide to Dragonkin book for Goodman Games was released. He appreciated the section which described how to change unhatched dragon eggs into virtually any other creature before their birth.

It should be feasible to put together a BtS pdf every week or so. Phil tells me that the frequency of a series' releases does have an affect on sales. I guess we'll see. At the very least, each new pdf in the series should spur sales of the older ones. Thanks to everyone who takes a look at these little works.

8 comments:

Daniel M. Perez said...

So, which spell is next?

Bret said...

I'm not sure. I was leaning toward grease but that may not be as urgent as some other favorites like mirror image or levitate. I'm open to suggestions, Daniel. How did you like MM?

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see Mirror Image.
Perhaps Tensen's Floating Disk
(The spell formerly by the mage known as Tenser *grin*)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tensen. I was thinking it might be fun to do a name spells with new creators since the original creators are allowed

Bret said...

I think as I come upon the "name" spells, Maxolt will mention why the pdf doesn't use the official name. As for adding on my own creator's name, well I don't know. Perhaps for one of the variants, but not for the basic spell. Don't want to confuse people. ;)

Daniel M. Perez said...

I liked MM a lot, Bret. Short, sweet and imaginative, all lean meat (sorry, I'm hungry). I'm getting Fireball soon.

As for the next issues, my suggestion is do the real staples, and then mix in an oddball. Perhaps a 2/1 ratio, so you did MM and Fireball, next do an offbeat spell, like Floating Disk or Grease, then go back to the main staples (e.g.Lightning Bolt, Sleep, etc.).

Anonymous said...

I'm not Daniel, but I do play a doctor on TV...wait no.

Actually, I agree with what he just posted. It's cool to see the staples like MM, fireball, etc. but it's also cool to see under-utilized spells like Grease.

I know some members of ENWorld have posted about all kinds of interesting uses for the Grease spell, but of course not everyone is on ENWorld and threads disappear within a day or two due to volume.

It may also be nice to get a mix of the different schools of magic, which would make something like Mirror Image a nice addition.

Bret said...

Your comments are alwasy welcome too, Brad. ;) And I certainly plan on not just doing evocation spells. Still not sure what's next. But rest assured that if a favorite isn't up next then it won't be long behind.

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...