Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Piracy

No, this isn't a movie review for Pirates of the Carribean 2 but rather my own brush with identity theft and internet piracy. A few minutes ago, I encountered a blog where the person was listing the nationalities who use his P2P files on E-Mule. That rat bastard has many WotC, Green Ronin, and Mongoose titles as well as numerous Behind the Spell issues! I emailed Phil Reed about it since he's dealt with this before. Although, to be honest, I don't know what can be done.

And I can't believe I didn't mention this on the 'ol blog before but I had a brush with identity theft a couple weeks ago. It was on a Wednesday, I recall receiving an email from my Discover card account verifying my change in email address. Huh? For some reason, I didn't bother to investigate until the next morning. I typed in my user ID and password--invalid!!! Thank goodness I was able to verify who I was by using the other security stuff like card #, mother's maiden name, etc. When I clicked on the new user info, I found that I had moved to the Bronx and possessed a yahoo email (which I do, but it sure as hell wasn't this one!). And then I realized that someone had gotten ahold of my personal info.

Despite the fact that I should be getting ready to go to work, I immediately changed the info back to what it should be and called Discover. Two very nice English-speaking (because you know that's rare!) women helped me. My card was shut down and a new one issued to me immediately. It was only by some fluke that the identity thief had not charged anything to the card yet. Crisis averted...this time. Be vigilant my blog-readers!

1 comment:

Scot said...

Scary! Depending how much info this person has on you, you may want to put a fraud alert on your other accounts. Hopefully since the thief knows you are wise to him, he may not bother with you again.

Contrary to Popular Belief...

...I'm still around! Feeling a little nostalgic for the old blogging life tonight so decided to stop in and post an update. Oh, life, yo...